As we get deeper into the winter season, it’s important to make sure you’re completing all your motorcycle maintenance and care. Otherwise, especially if you’re riding a used Harley Softail in Chicago, your beloved bike might not last as long as you expect it to.
Fortunately, here at Chicago Cycles Motorsports, we’ve been maximizing the quality and longevity of all sorts of motorcycles, including used Harley Softails in Chicago. And we want to pass the knowledge we’ve gained onto you.
Check Coolant Levels and Tire Pressure
Before winter temperatures take a toll on your motorcycle, it’s important to ensure that your antifreeze levels are adequate for the winter. If they’re not, add antifreeze to your coolant system.
Also, as temps go down, air will condense which leads to decreased tire pressure. Check tire pressure periodically during the winter and keep the tires pumped up.
Ready your Motorcycle for Storage
If you’re going to be storing your bike all winter, it’s important to do some prep work to avoid problems. Before storing your bike, you should:
- Remove the battery and store it somewhere it will not freeze.
- Add fuel stabilizer, top off fuel levels, and ride the bike to ensure the stabilizer is distributed throughout the system.
- Protect exhaust pipes with plastic bags (or similar) and lightly oil muffler ends
- Lube up any moving parts including cables, forks, chains, etc.
- Wash, wax, and cover your bike.
- Protect your tires by elevating the bike if possible.
If you follow all these winter maintenance tips, whether you ride a used Harley Softail in Chicago or anything else, your bike will be good to go when it’s riding season again.